Monday 10 October 2011

Moving 6 bricks

To start off, I first looked at the job sheet. From this I then valued the risk assessment on my colleague and then the risk assessment on task. After doing the previous I then checked the delivery sheet to see what I would need to do for the task and what the quantity that I needed to produce was to be. After reading the delivery ticket I signed and agreed to the statement and changed any incorrect parts to the agreement. 
I then looked for any risks in the college that could affect me or any workers what were working in the same situation, such as closed doors and then solved the problems but putting door-wedges in so I would be able to support myself with two hands if need be.
Safety boots (steel toe-caped) were worn to protect our feet, gloves to cushion the weight and glasses in in case the dusty and small chippings get into your eyes.
 We wore the boots to protect our feet from anything heavy falling on them, the gloves to protect things like splinters and blisters.
I then read the delivery sheet to see what the job was and what quantity was need of each material.
The hazards for this task are: the strain in the back, legs and arms when lifting the bricks. This could lead to a strain and possibly pulling a muscle in you back or your arms; you could also drop the buckets of bricks on your feet. The dust gathered on the bricks is also a hazard to your eyes.
When I started moving the bricks, I had one as a base and then loaded the bricks alternatively to how the previous one was laid to form a steadier block that is less lightly to fall out my hands. The bricks as laid in pairs apart from the fist one which is just a single brick in the middle so you can get your hands underneath. When picking up the bricks, I used my legs and did not bend my back to cause any strains. When I had done this and move them onto pallet, I had to pick them up and move them back. I laid them alternatively to make them more stable so they did no fall over.

No comments:

Post a Comment