Tuesday 11 October 2011

Moving one ton of ballast

To start off, I first looked at the job sheet. From this I then valued the risk assessment on my colleague and then the risk assessment on task. After doing the previous I then checked the delivery sheet to see what I would need to do for the task and what the quantity that I needed to produce was to be. After reading the delivery ticket I signed and agreed to the statement and changed any incorrect parts to the agreement. 
I then looked for any risks in the college that could affect me or any workers what were working in the same situation, such as closed doors and then solved the problems but putting door-wedges in so I would be able to support myself with two hands if need be.
The hazards for this task are similar to the bags of ballast; you could pull a muscle in your back when you’re shovelling the ballast into and out of the bag and when twisting your body. You could then also get the sand in your eyes.
The second job we had to do was to shift a one ton of ballast (sand and stones) from a bad into a pile across the car park. All the same safety hazards and equipment was the same, steel toe capped boats, glasses and gloves. To do this we used spaces and wheelbarrows. We loaded the ballast into the wheelbarrows using the spades and then wheeled the wheelbarrows across the car park and tipped out the content. After unloading the one ton bag we had to load it again using the same methods as before apart from when putting it back into the bag we used spades instead of tipping it in. As the ballast was fair condense we had to dive the space into it and twist the spade to loosen it up, this was a fair effective method. When loading the bad back up we had to be careful to do it correctly and make sure the bag did not crease so it would all fit back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment