Tuesday 11 October 2011

Moving the bags of ballast.

To start off, I first looked at the job sheet. From this I then valued the risk assessment on my colleague and then the risk assessment on task. After doing the previous I then checked the delivery sheet to see what I would need to do for the task and what the quantity that I needed to produce was to be. After reading the delivery ticket I signed and agreed to the statement and changed any incorrect parts to the agreement. 
I then looked for any risks in the college that could affect me or any workers what were working in the same situation, such as closed doors and then solved the problems but putting door-wedges in so I would be able to support myself with two hands if need be.
Safety boots (steel toe-caped) were worn to protect our feet and gloves and glasses as well as this we were also careful for cars on the road passing. We wore the boots to protect our feet from anything heavy falling on them, the gloves to protect things like splinters and blisters.
I then read the delivery sheet to see what the job was and what quantity was need of each material.
The hazards for this task is that: you can easily strain muscles in your back when your picking up the ballast, or even in your arms or legs. This can lead to a long period off whilst recovering.
Another hazard would to be if the bag of ballast slip and the sand got in your eyes, you would have to wash it out and the sand id irritant to your eyes.
The first task was to move a pallet of sand bags into the class room (12 bags of sand) although 30 were taken in; a pallet was also taken in so the sand bags could be places on top. The bags were laid down three in a row, 6 on each level, every level alternative in the way they had been placed. We then had to repeat this when removing them back outside to their original location.
When carrying the bags we have to bend with our legs and keeping are backs straight. The bags each weighing 25kg were lifted onto our shoulders. Only one was taken at a time to avoid any strains to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment